A journal by an American living in Canada
all entries © 2020 Donna Hébert. All rights reserved. All photos © Donna Hébert unless noted.
In 2017, I became a part-time resident of Cape Breton, an island at the top of Nova Scotia. Six months of the year, we reside about six miles from the western shore between Inverness and Margaree Harbour on the sunset coast.
Coming here to live is like stepping back in time, and for the most part, it’s stepping back into the good parts of what it was like fifty years ago or even earlier. People depend on each other and they know it, so they are less likely to think of others as dispensable as we often do in the States. Canada is far from perfect, mind you – people are people everywhere – but the quality of daily life here is so far ahead of us in terms of simple common decency that it stands out. Are there negative differences here? Of course there are, with real problems. I’ll explore some of them here and continue to look for what’s different, and good, about Cape Breton.
These essays talk about what it’s like to live here as an American, what we get up to on the homestead, around the island and in the Atlantic provinces, and most importantly, who the people are that call this special place home.
- 10-18-2020 – Blessing
- 10-11-2020 – Well, Well, Well
- 10-5-2020 – Big Intervale on the Northeast Margaree River
- 10-2-2020 – Broad Cove Marsh Road
- 9-27-2020 – Along the Margaree River
- 9-24-2020 – Avalon Isle Part 1
- 9-20-2020 – Margaree Harbour and Whale Cove
- 9-19-2020 – Island Light
- 9-12-2020 – Two Pints of Strawberries
- 9-8-2020 – Why We Live Here
- 9-7-2020 – Millworkers – My People
- 9-5-2020 – Music on the Deck and Online
- 9-2-2020 – Troubled in Paradise
- 9-1-2020 – Bread and Butter Pickles
- 8-31-2020 – Ravens on the Lawn
- 8-29-2020 – Turning Toward the Light
- 8-27-2020 – Music as a birthright
- 8-26-2020 – The Lure of Cape Breton – Part 2
- 8-25-2020 – The Lure of Cape Breton – Part 1
- 8-24-2020 – Betty Beaton’s Oatcakes
- 8-22-2020 – Coffee at Beaton’s Delight Espresso
- 8-20-2020 – Blueberry Dreams
- 8-19-2029 – Cooperatives, Chéticamp Style
- 8-18-2020 – Who Really Owns Canada?
- 8-17-2020 – Hawks and Eagles
- 8-16-2020 – Lobster Bisque
- 8-15-2020 – National Acadian Day
- 8-14-2020 – Resource Management
- 8-13-2020 – Quarantine